crossing the heartline
Dishonored || PG-13 (Low Chaos) || Corvo, the Outsider || ~840 words
He tells himself that he doesn’t kill every goddamn target because she wouldn’t have wanted him to. He reminds himself that Emily shouldn’t begin her reign on a foundation of corpses infected by something much more ruthless than plague. Truth is: it isn’t true. Not entirely.
In which I tried to justify Low Chaos to myself and thought, hey, let’s share.
FF7 || PG-13 (language, innuendo) || Aeris/Tifa pre-slash || 4,100 words
Aeris is a witch, a sort of go-to advisor and supplier to hunters of all types and skills that drift in and out. It gets rather lonely after a while, though, with only a stubborn rhododendron and a few vinyls for constant company, so she's going to take any chance she can to get back on the road and get to know this Tifa better.
- Fusion with SPN (i.e. a modern AU with monster hunting)
- Part of the Black Magic Woman series, which includes god put a song on my palm (Aeris/Tifa, established relationship) and This Isn't Going to Wash Out (Zack/Cloud/Sephiroth, backfired spells and tentacle/wing/anthro sex, idek)
- Originally meant to be a longer fic for the femmeslash_bang challenge, but the community seemed to die before the challenge was ever finished, so I'm posting part of what I had as a oneshot in an ongoing series.
MCU || PG - post-Civil War || Carol, Steve || ~480 words
For captainsmarvelandamerica, who wanted a take on the background convo between Carol and Steve on his miraculous return:
( “You Army boys can’t do anything right,” she deflects, except she kind of sucks at it because her voice does that cracking thing that hasn’t happened since she stopped waking up with the taste of whiskey in the back of her throat. )
MCU || PG-13 || Tony Stark, the team || ~4,860 words
Several times Tony had no one to save him but himself, and one time he did.
- Warnings: suggested underage sexual activity, emotional manipulation
- Written for dante_s_hell for the Avengers Holiday Exchange
( And Tony, he’s a smart fucking guy, he learns: your enemies teach you the best tricks, that people see what they want to see, and that if you have get stuck with someone else then at least make sure it’s another scientist or two. )
Crazy-->fucked-up version of intimacy
Sane-->surnames and more professional distance
I think there's something sad and ironic in all this.
i just found this interesting in terms of, well, intimacy and its issues, idk
MCU || NC-17 || Steve/Tony (Tony/Pepper breakup, bawww) || ~48,000 words
New York City is still rebuilding in the wake of the Chitauri army when the biotech virus Extremis is released, upgrading a lone domestic terrorist into a posthuman threat. Tony would’ve been happy to keep going on playing with alien tech in his lab, saving average citizens as Iron Man, and pretending not to notice these other people moving into his tower, but sometimes a person just can’t have nice things.
My artists: waferkya (link pending) + angelicfoodcake. Please give them some well-deserved love.
( "I wonder what counts as AI porn?" Tony wonders out loud. "Shoving a plug into a socket? Siri and her filthy little dirty-talk?" )
- Dedicated to tir_synni, whose notebook I accidentally destroyed with yakisoba and so repaid with actually finishing this (plus a new notebook). She and my BFF gave me feedback; all remaining mistakes are my own and my stubbornness'.
- Warnings: referenced past child abuse; some disturbing and violent imagery; a very small amount of subtextual internalized homophobia; a few mentions of anti-Semitism, racism, and political extremism.
- Spoilers for Marvel’s oneshot Item 47.
- Movie-verse with the substantial use and abuse of 616 canon (see endnotes for more specifics).
- Questionable use of science, programming, a couple non-English phrases, and too many references to pop culture and science fiction.
- Some characters get little to no face-time because I ran out of time and, since this is technically for the Cap and Iron Man community, I wanted to stay focused. I’m working on companion bits for Rhodey, Natasha, and Pepper in particular.
- If anyone’s read my FFVII stuff, a couple asides might be familiar. Whoops.
- Have a music download.
- Posted to AO3 because I don't have the time to fight LJ's word limits right now.
The fic itself deals with Extremis and sort of-transhumanism, so I'm leaning towards an industrial/synth/tech/sampling feel. Unfortunately, for all that I like to think I have something for everything, my default tends to run towards grunge, metal, alt rock, or downtempo (if I'm actually listening) or movie soundtracks (for when I just need background noise). I've been vaguely considering songs from artists like Depeche Mode, Neuroticfish, Tryad, and Infected Mushroom, and I want to keep to a thematic and lyrical cohesiveness rather than carelessly throw together completely different genres, but I feel woefully underprepared. The last time I was really into anything resembling industrial, I was an even scrawnier, self-obsessed teenage goth that played Skinny Puppy and Marilyn Manson on repeat. (I also have a tendency to listen to the same few songs obsessively for weeks and then forget all about them for several years before stumbling across old music files or actual mix CDs again and IT'S LIKE CHRISTMAS IN JULY.)
So, any recommendations for songs or artists along the lines of industrial, techno, dubstep, and/or darkwave (and maaaaaybe trip-hop, idk)? Also willing to take differing opinions or ideas, bawwww.
ETA: Political shit and whatever is awesome, but I'd like to avoid anything racially charged. As much as I love Tricky and Martina Topley-Bird's cover of "Black Steel," a quick consult with chofi reaffirmed my opinion that doing so for a story featuring a rich white guy would be...somewhat disingenuous.
for the first time ever
i have managed to meet a big bang deadline
And even then it probably wouldn't have happened if I hadn't spilled yakisoba all over my bag in NYC, which happened to have been carrying one of tir_synni's notebooks, and I was thus consumed by soul-sucking guilt and I promised I'd finish this thing. (For the record, no Unexpected Side-effects was lost in the process, and arin_rowan made it better with some sparkly FFVII stickers she found and shared. :DDD And now I'm missing them and chofi and artimusdin and The Strand's inventory of $5 hardcover comic collections.)
IN THE MCU
You know you want it.
i hope you do oh god the pressure
I'LL FINISH A LONG FIC FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I WAS SIXTEEN
this grey house where I come from
Avengers MCU || PG-13 || Steve/Tony, past Tiberius/Tony || 3,900 words
There was never any actual violence, nothing dramatic or traumatizing, so Tony doesn’t know why ancient history can occasionally make him feel nauseous, or why some of the most innocuous and nonthreatening things that come out of Steve’s mouth can make his breath stutter.
- Warning for seriously dubious sexual consent, emotional manipulation, and underage sex (for both parties).
- Totally disregarding almost all canon concerning Tiberius Stone except for his creepy ability to string Tony along without Tony ever seeing it for what it is. (While Sunset Bain and Kathy Dare would've been other options, I have Reasons Left Unexplained for going this route.)
- Also on AO3.
( “How about Coneheads. Wait, you haven’t been introduced to Saturday Night Live yet, have you?” Tony finally turns off the torch and flips up the visor. “The nineties’ episodes, thanks, those’re the good ones. Dear god, man, we’ve been neglecting your education, Coneheads is a cornerstone of subgenre culture.” )
Psych medication hasn't been helping my ~creative drive~ either. :(
You can download it here (LJ link, Sendspace hosting).
And You Wonder Why We Ain't Got Nothing to Say
Avengers || PG-13: drug-use || Tony+Bruce being SCIENCE BROS || 1,550 words
"You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? Huge bag of weed?"
- Warning for movie spoilers, for Coulson having gotten better via deus ex machina, and for essentially being disjointed word-vomit. Because of reasons, mostly just that it was fun to write.
- Title from WHY?’s “fatalist palmistry.” Summary from the actual movie script.
- Draci = Lojban, meaning “drama.”
( It figures that during the week Pepper is gone to the West Coast for some business thing, and both Tony and Bruce are missing from a formally-arranged Avengers meeting in SHIELD, it's because they're getting stoned on the floor in Tony's lab. )
While Everyone's Lost (The Battle Is Won)
Avengers (Earth-19999/movie-verse) || PG-13 || Steve/Tony || 6,900 words
Steve closes his eyes in 1945 and wakes up in 2012. Well. They certainly didn't put that on the recruiting poster.
- Warnings: talk of politics, mental illness, PTSD, the Holocaust.
- Title from The Killers' "All These Things that I've Done."
- Companion to The Minor Fall, the Major Lift, heavy on the 616 canon and the Smithsonian scene from Captain America: Man out of Time.
( He meets Tony Stark. He hadn't expected it to go so wrong, but then, he hadn't expected someone who seemed to have all the worst parts of Howard Stark and the best parts of Bucky. )
Avengers Assemble #1
Marvel Adventures: Iron Man vol.3
Locke & Key vol.1
The Invincible Iron Man vol.8
Tank Girl vol.1
The Sandman vol.10
I'm on first name terms with everyone who works at/owns the comic store by now, by the way.
Avengers (Earth-19999/movie-verse) || PG-13 || light Steve/Tony || 4,800 words
This is how they piece it together and make it work.
- Warnings: PTSD, past comic-canon child abuse, mention of the Holocaust, language.
- Title from the song "Hallelujah," mostly because I've been listening to it and thought the line was appropriate.
( They're not even doing anything, just acting stupid, like strangers assigned to the same dorm room who haven't quite figured out each other's quirks and tics yet. )